A dictionary might advise you that health is the state of being free from illness.
But, in essence, it’s much more.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says that health is more than the absence of illness.
“Health is the state of physical, social and mental well being and not purely the absence of illness in someone” states the AAFP.
In essence, health is the key to living a productive life.
Path to being healthy
You can break the concept of “health” into many categories.
These can include the three main categories:
Taking care of your body is the key to being healthy all the time.
In order to keep your physical health at the highest level, you can
- Exercise regularly: especially teens. You should be physically active for at least an hour per day.
- A healthy diet: Healthy eating is the key to growing up and developing a good body. Be careful what you put into your body!
- Get enough sleep: Most teens require at least 9 hours of sleep every night. The average adult requires only 7. But, sleep has a strong impact on your ability to concentrate and do well in general.
- Brush and floss your teeth: A survey that asked “What would you tell yourself as a 10-year-old?” said that 67% of people said to take better care of their teeth. Make it habit to brush regularly, and you’re good to go.
- Wear sunscreen: Getting just one bad sunburn as a child can increase the risk of developing skin cancer as an adult.
- Don’t listen to music too loud: I know, music rules but you have to be careful. This can damage your hearing for the rest of your life.
You have to take good care of your mind, as it’s what makes you.
There are a lot of ways to take care of your mental health:
- Learning to cope with stress: You can’t avoid stress in your life, but you can manage it. This habit will help you stay calm and be able to manage different situations.
- Study and do your best in school and work: There is a very strong link between health and personal success. Provide that for yourself.
- Try to maintain a good relationship with people: Remember that most people only want what’s best for you. Try to see how you can better the relationship and you will be rewarded.
- Develop a good balance between work and life: Don’t overwork, and down underwork either. Each of them has its own time, and you should never mix them.
- Don’t try to take on too much: Limit your activities to the most crucial ones and give them 100%. Extending yourself can lead to stress, frustration, and failure.
Taking care of your feelings should also be a top priority.
There are several known signs of mental issues, such as:
- Exessive tiredness
- Low self-esteem
- Low appetite
- Weight gain or loss
- Personality changes
You should pay attention to your moods and feelings. Don’t just assume your negative thoughts are part of who you are. If you’re worried about something, seek help.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you can’t talk to your friends or family, you should consider talking to a therapist.
Also, you have to accept yourself for who you are. If you feel like you have low self-esteem or a poor body image, talk to someone about it. There are people out there who care for you.